Who we are:
LEGACY is a non-profit support network for families and friends who have lost loved ones to suicide. Our group is comprised of individuals who have experienced this traumatic event first hand and know the heartbreak and personal suffering that follows. Group members graciously volunteer their time to assist those friends and family members left behind, and give the comfort that only those who have endured such pain can provide.
Join us at a support group meeting:
2nd Wednesday of Every Month
6:00 p.m. – 7:45 p.m. (adults only please)
McKay-Dee Surgery Center & Orthopedics
3895 Harrison Blvd.
Ogden, UT 84403
Benefits of a Support Group:
- Verbalizing thoughts and feelings help grieving people to get in touch with their feelings.
A forum is provided for airing your grief and seeking direction and support.
Grieving persons learn that they have resources within for helping themselves and others.
Members have the opportunity to become friends with people who have also suffered a loss. This reverses the tendency toward isolation and provides a sense of belonging.
It is a relief to learn that you are not going crazy.
What you’re feeling is normal for your situation.
It may be the only place a person can feel understood and express their true feelings without being judged.
It helps to realize that you are not alone in your grief.
Longer bereaved survivors are models of hope for the newly bereaved.
- There is a sense of doing something positive about grief.
- You meet people who truly care about you.
- Everyone needs hugs and a support group is a good place to get them.
- Group members will never tell you that you need to “get over it” or “you need to get on with your life.”
- You will come to understand that grief from a suicide death usually takes much loner to accept than most other deaths.
- You will learn that you can’t rush it. You can’t ignore it. You can’t go around it. You have to go through it.
- A group provides you an opportunity to share your guilt and anger and to talk about what has happened to you in an environment of non-judgment and understanding.
- You will be walking a path with others that walked where you are walking now.